Good Sam Camping Blog
TEST Header

6 Case Studies in Preventing RV Fires

6 Case Studies in Preventing RV Fires

April 2, 2014 by · 1 Comment 

With an average of 3,100 RV fires each year, there is no shortage of news stories across the U.S. and Canada about devastating losses due to recreational vehicle fires. These fires caused seven deaths, 62 injuries, and approximately $41 million in damages each year. These numbers reflect how important fire safety and fire prevention are […]

RVers Die of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in 2 Separate Incidents

RVers Die of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in 2 Separate Incidents

November 10, 2013 by · Leave a Comment 

A 75-year-old Pennsylvania man and a Colorado high school student died of carbon monoxide gas poisoning in two separate incidents. 75-year-old Pennsylvania Man Dies from Carbon Monoxide A 75-year-old Windber, Pennsylvania, man died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning while at the Allegany County Fairgrounds and his 76-year-old-wife was taken to a hospital in […]

Working Carbon Monoxide Detectors Can Save Lives

Working Carbon Monoxide Detectors Can Save Lives

October 18, 2013 by · Leave a Comment 

In an earlier post I reported that five people died in their sleep from carbon monoxide poisoning inside a rented camper at a bike rally in Clarksville, Tennessee. Investigators said the victims appeared to have been overcome by carbon monoxide fumes that leaked into the camper from a generator. The RV’s carbon monoxide detector, which […]

Carbon Monoxide: The Silent Killer

Carbon Monoxide: The Silent Killer

August 2, 2013 by · Leave a Comment 

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas—often dubbed the Silent Killer— that is toxic and the number one cause of accidental poisoning deaths in the United States. Carbon monoxide can kill quickly if inhaled in high concentrations and can be particularly dangerous in recreational vehicles. It is produced by the incomplete combustion of solid, liquid, […]

More Space Heater Fires Destroy Pets & RVs

More Space Heater Fires Destroy Pets & RVs

January 30, 2013 by · 1 Comment 

Whether camping or just relaxing in your recreational vehicle, fire safety is essential. In an earlier post I reported that four small dogs died and an RV was destroyed in a fire caused by a propane space heater. In today’s post I report on two RV fires caused by careless use of space heaters. Arizona Fire Started […]

Propane Space Heater Fire Destroys 4 Dogs & RV

Propane Space Heater Fire Destroys 4 Dogs & RV

January 20, 2013 by · Leave a Comment 

Studies show that fires in recreational vehicles, especially older units, tend to be more devastating than those in other forms of residence. Heating and electrical system malfunctions are the leading causes of fire in RVs. Together, they account for one-third of the fires. Four small dogs died and an RV was recently (January 15, 2013) […]

RV Fire Safety Guidelines

RV Fire Safety Guidelines

June 28, 2012 by · Leave a Comment 

Whether camping or just relaxing in your recreational vehicle, fire safety is essential. It is critical that every member of your party know what to do in an emergency or fire. If you are one of the millions of RV enthusiasts who love to take to the road and explore this great country of ours, ensure […]