Filed under: Activities & Attractions, Entertaining Kids at Camp, Entertaining Kids at Camp, Nature & Wildlife, Outdoor Recreation & Hiking
Camping – a Gateway to the Outdoors
If I say the word camping to you what is the first thing that will come to mind? For some of you it could be outdoors because like it or not when you are camping you will be definitively in the nature – unless you are camping in your backyard that is but then you would miss of lot of opportunities.
But what do you do when you are camping? Do you only camp or do you get involved in other types of outdoors activities? According to the 2012 American Camper Report, 16% of the participants said they are only camping. That leaves us with 84% doing another outdoor activity while camping. Congratulations to these people because they are expanding their experience of camping.
So it got me thinking about the kind of activities that you can do while camping. I mean there are people who don’t know what else to do so I figure I could suggest some activities for them in order to engage with nature and have more fun while camping.
One of the best activity I enjoy doing is photography. I would go walk by myself and explore the surroundings. The important thing to remember when you go on paths with your camera is to make sure not to make too much noise because you don’t know what special animal you can see while looking to take pictures. In the past, I came across a turtle laying her eggs in the sand next to a trailer, saw the Canadian geese on the lake, came across fabulous flowers and mushrooms and encountered a colorful bird in the forest.
You could also invest in fabulous books or apps to learn more about the trees, flowers, birds and animals living in the area where you camp. This will expand your knowledge of the wildlife as well as make you go explore outside. Some animals we have encountered at the campground are raccoons, squirrels, chipmunks, birds, turtles, fish, and one skunk even walked under our RV one summer night.
If your campground is equipped with outdoors activities, then you are in luck. A lake would be a great place to try canoeing, fishing, zip lining, and much more. Our permanent campground has invested this year and installed three courses of zip lines. My kids are looking forward to try these. This campground has been recognized for years with their water slides. They also have a beach for everyone to enjoy.
My kids love to discover new things when we camp. Last year, we stumbled on a kind of snake and its babies. They learned that it could slide on water in order to escape them. They have caught frogs and go fishing regularly with their dad on the lake (while I take a well deserve time off!). We also do bird watching and try to learn as much on a species we see as possible. Sometimes we even go to geocaching. This activity can be fun for the whole family as you have to explore the area where a cache is hidden. You can also take something from the cache and include something else in exchange. It’s a fun way to develop searching skills for everyone in your family.
Bottom line is that there are a lot of activities that you can do when you are camping. Don’t stay just to your site and do nothing else. Nature is waiting for you to discover it. Grab your camera, go for a walk in the paths and try to identify the trees, plants, birds and animals you will encounter. Or try out a new activity to do like fishing for example.
This year I would love to go explore a cavern with the family. It would be different and fun at the same time. Check out the various outdoors activities you can do around the place where you camp. I know that near where we are you could also go do some white river rafting. I would love to try this out with my family one of these days.
What about you? What activities do you do when you are camping? Careful shopping doesn’t count! *grin*