Filed under: Uncategorized
Overnight Stay at Wal-Mart
Imagine yourself travelling with your family. You know you want to drive as much as possible and eventually stop for only a night. However you don’t want to stop at a campground for only a night so you wonder where you can go. Have you considered the Wal-Mart or Sam’s Clubs parking lots? Did you know that you can stay overnight in these places? If not, I have a book for you that will open new possibilities in your traveling.
The Wal-mart Atlas is a comprehensive guide to more than 4,000 Walmart stores, Supercenters, and Sam’s Club stores in the United States. The paperback book includes maps that show you at a glance where stores are located and whether gas or diesel fuel is available. My husband purchased this book a while back simply because he wanted to have it for future travels. He is seriously thinking more and more about it since we purchased a small generator.
For each state you will get a detailed map indicating where you can find a Wal-Mart. You can get more information for each Wal-Mart in that state by looking at the table which will inform you on the type of Wal-Mart you will find, if the store is open 24 hours, if there is a pharmacy in it, which interstate is close by, and if there is an auto service. You will also get the availability of gasoline and diesel fuel, the address, zip code, phone number, GPS coordinates and driving directions.
Please see a sample on the Wal-Mart Atlas website.
Essentially, this book can be a life saver when you decide to go on a long trip and want to take a break every once in a while. We are thinking of using it if we ever go on an extended field trip to Walt Disney World one day. In the meantime, we have it with us every time we drive to the US for a long period of time. You never know when you might need the information if you need to take a nap or sleep for a night.
If you decide to experience some dry camping in parking lots overnight remember that it also means to respect the place where you stay as well. There is a code of conduct that you should consider when doing so.
1) Stay one night only.
2) Obtain permission from a qualified individual.
3) Obey posted regulations.
4) No awning, chairs, or BBQ grills outside your RV.
5) Do not use hydraulic jacks on soft surfaces.
6) Always leave the area cleaner than you found it.
7) Purchase gas, food, or other supplies as a form of thank you when feasible.
8) Be safe! Always be aware of your surroundings and leave if you feel unsafe.
Most Wal-Mart are gracious to allow RVers to stay the night. However, please not that some stores do not allow overnight parking. This maybe because of a decision of the store’s management or because of a local ordinance that prohibit such stays. You can get the list of these Wal-Mart stores in the Wherezitat? Locate-A-Wal-Mart
You can get the Wal-Mart Atlast and the Wherezitat? for the price of 24.95 through the RVBOOKSTORE.COM or purchase it on amazon.com.
Last 5 posts by Canadianladybug
- The benefits of owning a generator - August 15th, 2013
- Using your RV to attend a family reunion – yes it’s possible. - August 6th, 2013
- Learning history while rving - July 30th, 2013
- Learning more about Canada at the Museum of Civilization - July 24th, 2013
- Discoveries at the Canadian Children's Museum - July 18th, 2013