Filed under: Uncategorized
On the Road with the Skype App
Have any of you tried using the Skype App while traveling? I used the iPhone App for the first time last week when I was traveling in Bristol Bay, Alaska. I was not camping at the time…I was staying in a remote log cabin.
However, I didn’t have any cell phone service when I was in the remote corner of Alaska. I could have used a calling card a land line in the cabin, but thankfully I planned ahead and downloaded the Skype app onto my iPhone before I left Seattle. Using wifi in the cabin, I was able to use Skype to call home. This was a new venture for me, but I thought it might be worth telling you about in case you find yourself in a remote location with wifi but no cell service. If you think you will be in a region where cell service is spotty, then I suggest you download the App onto your phone before you leave home. Then, work with it, try it out, and just familiarize yourself with it. Like me, you will probably be impressed with its affordability and accessibility.
Are you a Skype user? If not, click here for more information.
–Photo by Melissa A. Trainer
–Melissa A. Trainer
Last 5 posts by Melissa A. Trainer
- Try the Quick Chill Method at Camp! - July 7th, 2013
- Olympic National Park Celebrates 75 Years! - June 23rd, 2013
- Spooky Hikes in Washington State - October 26th, 2012
- Wild for Blackberries in the Pacific Northwest! - August 26th, 2012
- Savor those Campgrounds in September... - August 24th, 2012