Filed under: Gadget Reviews, Technology & Camping
Postcards From The Road – The Black and Decker Powermate 400
The Black and Decker Powermate 400 AC/DC Portable Power Station/Jump-Starter/Compressor - Purchasing this multi-use device was a brilliant decision on my part, if I do say so myself. Just having it sitting in my storage area, fully charged and ready to go, gives me a peace of mind that a set of jumper cables can’t match. It can start my car if my battery is weak or dead and doesn’t require a good samaritan or AAA tow truck. Its multi-stage internal charger keeps it fully charged by leaving it plugged into an AC outlet overnight.
But that’s not all its good for: It’s like a multi-function swiss army knife. During our recent RV trip, it allowed me to:
1- Check the air pressure in my tow vehicle and trailer tires and top them off as needed.
2- Via one of its 2 12-volt receptacles, it ran my 12-volt air pump to firm up our Coleman air mattress.
3- And our 12-volt portable fan inside and outside of the trailer.
4- It has a built in system to check on the health of our tow vehicle’s alternator.
5- And it allowed me to jump start our tow vehicle after forgetting to unplug the trailer-to-car umbilical cable after leaving the rig parked outside my son’s home for 3 days, thereby draining the vehicle’s battery below that required to crank its engine.
It also has 2 AC outlets that’ll light an emergency drop-lamp or other low-voltage device. More specifics include:
- Use for tailgating, camping, and power failures when no wall outlet is available
- Powers and/or charges AC and DC appliances
- Built-in multi-LED worklight
- 450 amps for instant jump-starting without the need of another vehicle
- Built-in 120-volt AC charger for use with ordinary household extension cord for recharging
- Keyless ON/OFF power safety switch and reverse hook-up warning alarm
- LED battery status indicator
- MFG Brand Name : BLACK and DECKER
- MFG Model # : VEC026BD
- MFG Part # : VEC026BD
After 3 years of faithful service, it was $100 well spent.
Till next time,
Last 5 posts by Traveler8343
- Henry Horton S.P., Tennessee - November 30th, 2012
- Mau-Mau, A Most Peculiar Cat - November 26th, 2012
- Put Tab A Into Slot B... - July 25th, 2012
- Part 3 - Big Trees State Park, Calaveras County, California - Exploitation of the Sequoias - June 30th, 2012
- Part 2 - Big Trees State Park, Calveras County, California - June 27th, 2012