Filed under: Menu Planning & Cooking, Preparation & Readiness
What Is Your Favorite Campground Cookery Tool?
With the gift giving season upon us, I am wondering about your favorite campground cookery tool. We have a hefty stash of campground cookware that we’ve purchased over the years. Some items have been purchased new at full price. Other items, such as many of our cast iron Dutch ovens, have been unearthed at thrift stores and estate sales.
I honestly don’t know how many Dutch ovens we have, but I’d say it is at least six or seven. I’d venture to guess that the Dutch oven is my husband’s favorite tool for campground cookery. He loves buidling a fire and then making cobblers and crisps in the massive ovens. Over this past holiday weekend, we used our massive Lewis and Clark Anniversary Dutch oven to cook, reheat and serve a vat of homemade baked beans to a crowd of Boy Scouts and their parents.
Admittedly, the ovens can get a bit heavy when they are loaded with food, but they are incredibly versatile and reliable. So, what’s your favorite tool for campground cooking?
Last 5 posts by Melissa A. Trainer
- Spooky Hikes in Washington State - October 26th, 2012
- Wild for Blackberries in the Pacific Northwest! - August 26th, 2012
- Savor those Campgrounds in September... - August 24th, 2012
- Do the Puyallup Fair in Western Washington - August 23rd, 2012
- Are You a Mobile Reader? - August 19th, 2012