Good Sam Camping Blog
TEST Header
Filed under: Preparation & Readiness, Uncategorized

Patti’s Saga of an RV Rookie, or Farewell Crusty Hotel Bedspreads, Hello RV!

November 4, 2010 by · 8 Comments

Flying in sardine cans and paying exorbitant rates for the privilege of sleeping under some guy’s dead skin cells (even in good hotels) had long ago lost their charm; yet, the longing for our grandkids was overwhelming. The solution was to buy an RV: our schedule, our food, our dirt. Class B vans seemed a good way to go until we poked our heads into one. We pictured the three of us bellying up against each other all the way to Montana and passed. Our teen has a four foot wingspan, I kid you not.

A different salesman endured our brilliant Class C questions. Class C’s seem like football fields compared with Class B’s.  I got a wild hair and drove a Class C monster. I actually did a great job; the white knuckled sales rep said so.  It seemed perfect until we discovered it’d cost us a couple hundred a month for five thousand months. Don’t think so.

Patti checkin' out the Jayco

Heeeere's Patti!

Last, we dutifully trudged beside a rep determined to show us every gargantuan  5th wheel on the lot. Those things are incredible; cathedral ceilings, marble fireplaces, and disco dance floors.  OK, maybe no disco dance floors. But, an affordable 5th wheel did seem perfect. Then we realized we’d have to buy a mammoth truck just to tow it. I personally could have analyzed RV purchases forever, but after weeks of looking,  I could see burnout in Ray’s bleary eyes;  he’d had it.

We ultimately bought a Jayco travel trailer, putting our beleaguered sales rep on permanent bed rest in the process. We also made helpful internet ‘RV forum’ friends along the way. If I ever know anything, I want to help new RVers , too.

Check in with me next week for the results of  “the walk-through.” My husband, Ray (a saint and genius, but he’d never even been in an RV until our search), plans on operating every feature of our new trailer alongside a techie who’s done thousands of pre-delivery inspections and is desperate to get home for ribs. My job is to take notes on every word he says. I can tell you right now, whatever they pay that guy, it won’t be enough.

Turned out getting our first RV wasn’t a snap, but now all that’s left is conquering black water. Piece a cake…doncha think?

Comments

8 Responses to “Patti’s Saga of an RV Rookie, or Farewell Crusty Hotel Bedspreads, Hello RV!”
  1. professor95 says:

Great Introduction, Patti. I look forward to reading your “further adventures”.

Yea, Black water is a cinch. Just be sure to wear disposable gloves and have a spray bottle of green alcohol handy to disinfect afterwards (Read my previous blog on Duct Tape and Green Alcohol). I now wear some type of eye protection as well – I’ve had a few innocent “splashes” to the face dumping, rinsing and storing that were cause for concern. But, please, please do not follow the methods Robin Williams displayed in the movie RV. :)

Like with doctors, always get a second opinion on advice for buying, outfitting and driving an RV.

Good luck and happy trails to you guys.

Randy Agee (Professor95)

2. Keith Berg says:

Don’t worry about the black water, you’ll have lot’s of other things come up before you fill the tanks for the first time. You know, things like backing the trailer into the campsite without taking out the connections or becoming terribly upset with the helper in back giving those unpracticed hand signals that no one other than the signaller, has any idea what they mean. Just think of the stories you will have some time down the road, after you have forgotten how upset you were at the time. It’s all great fun! Even the problems, or most of them anyway.

3. butterbean carpenter says:

Howdy Patti,

The best advice I can give is GO TO RV UNIVERSITY (RV 101.NET) AND GET THEIR CDs & READS
    FOR TRAVEL TRAILER… EVERY ‘EXPERT’ IN RVng IS ON THEIR STAFF… DENNIS HILL CAN
    TURN AN RV AROUND INSIDE A TOMATO CAN… TELL RAY TO LEARN ALL HE CAN FOR HIMSELF
    BECAUSE IT WILL SAVE A LOT OF QUIET TIME… GET SOME WALKIE-TALKIES,ALSO…

RV.NET FORUM CAN’T BE BEAT FOR SOLID ADVICE… I HAVE A TT & A MOTORHOME AND AM
    STILL LEARNING EVERYDAY!!!!

Glad to have you aboard and look forward to you stories…

Smooth roads and NO WIND !!!!!

4. Hoby says:

It is good to have a new RVer out there. I loved the comment about the hotel bedspreads…like my wife says, “at least staying in an RV you are living in your own dirt, and not somebody else’s”

Oh, and black water is a piece of cake 99.9% of the time ;-)

5. Patti Faustini says:

Hey, Hoby! Thanks for the comment. It’s that other .1% of blackwater time that throws me! And, yes, isn’t our own dirt far more acceptable than the other guys? Your wife’s all over it! Patti

6. Patti Faustini says:

Hi There, Randy, and thanks for your comment! However, it sorta scares me that I’ve never heard of green alcohol. Hmmm… think I’d better check that out, as well as your other posts. Patti

7. Patti Faustini says:

Hi Keith! Too funny, your comments about backing up with hand signals that no one gets! I remember my parents’ biggest fights started out with “You gotta be kidding me, Irene! Who would know what that meant? I thought you were hitchhiking!”
    Our first outing it this coming weekend, and the RV place is letting stay in a pull-through. I’m hoping it’s idiot proof. Check back in and you may find out! Patti

8. Patti Faustini says:

Hi Butterbean…I haven’t heard that term in a long time. I grew up in the midwest and …gag..cube steaks and canned butterbeans were daily fare. Actually, I liked the butterbeans.

Yes, I am on the RV net forum. It’s been my life line. And we haven’t even left the house! Check back next week and find out how our first outing went. I’m pretending to be really confident. Actually, I am, because I love our little baby Jayco, and no one is going to use the bathroom in it! Tah Dah! Patti